I have been playing the Great Highland Bagpipes since 1977. My father, James Lang, started me off. I have since been instructed by Scot MacAuley, Jeanette MacLeod, Bill Minty, PM Reay MacKay CD, and John Walsh.
I competed in solo piping events from 1978 to 1999 last competing at the grade one level.
I have been a member of the 48th Highlanders of Canada Pipes and Drums since 1982. I am currently the Pipe Major.
I have passed all of the piping courses in the Canadian Forces giving me the qualifications for the rank of Chief Warrant Officer. I now hold the rank of Master Warrant Officer in the 48th Highlanders of Canada Pipes and Drums. I have spent three summers (1993, 94, 95) as a piper with the Band of the Ceremonial Guard, Ottawa.
I was employed on staff at the Canadian Forces Music Centre Detachment Borden on Canadian Forces Base Borden (CFMusC Borden), assisting Pipe Major CWO Dewar who at the time was the the Senior CF Pipe Major and the CF Piping Instruction Coordinator, and Pipe Major MWO Ian Ferguson, who at the time was the Senior CF Piping Instructor. I left this position in September 2000 to pursue a full-time career in Technical Writing.
In December of 2015, I was appointed as Official Piper to the Lieutenant Governor of Ontario
Piper at Office of the Lieutenant Governor of Ontario
Pipe Major at 48th Highlanders of Canada
Primary Reserves, Department of National Defence
Master Warrant Officer, Piper Major, and Webmaster
- Volunteer Member of the Pipes and Drums for six years, September 1981 until January
- Joined the Primary Reserves as a member of the 48th Highlanders of Canada in
- Completed all trade tests available for a piper in the Canadian Militia.
- Promoted to Master Warrant Officer in 1 October of 2004.
- Played with the contest band in grades II and I.
- Currently second-in-command of the pipe corps.